"Could not activate this XO" error

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon Jul 23 18:25:54 EDT 2007

Coming late to this discussion, but:
  - the new autoreinstallation script doesn't require editing olpc.fth
  - renaming the version file on the install stick doesn't change the
version number read after it is installed, so it is harmless and
recommended
  - renaming the version file also allows you to downgrade to a
version w/ activation, unlike the copy-nand method
  - the recommended file names are osXXX or osXXXX or osXXXXX which
support the numbering used for stable builds
 - as far as I know, the proposal floated earlier on devel@ (but
before my time) was that we should jump to version numbers starting at
50000 at some point and incrementing by (say) 100 for major releases
and 1 for minor releases.
 - the olpc.fth script ought to actually handle ordering among all of
the above variants.

Also:
 - B1s are known not to work; I'm testing a fix now which should fix
it, it will probably be in tomorrow's build
 - B1s don't report serial numbers (although they have UUIDs), so if
your machine reports a serial # other than SHF0000000 then it's not a
B1
 - I've tested activation on a B2-1, and it does work there.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )