Non-XOs showing up in neighborhood

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Jul 23 11:37:06 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 05:16:17PM +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:
> Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>
> > The Chat activity can uses multi-user chats afaik, which is something only
> > supported by telepathy-salut (it's not standardized). So you won't be able to
> > talk to them unless they use a Telepathy based client.
>
> So this mean everybody in wireless range and a Telepathy client can chat
> with the kids on the XO mesh?

Yes. There is no (real) difference in the telepathy-salut you can install on
your normal machine and the one on the XO. So you can talk to each-other.

Joining the mesh without an XO is hard though (as afaik there are no other
machines supporting 802.11s). I'm assuming the Jonathan was using a normal
wireless network when he saw others online, not a mesh.

If your afraid of abuse. How to differentiate your friends and other
people/children on the mesh is still subject to discussion.

  Sjoerd
--
In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
It is not always an easy sacrifice.