First impressions of a B4 machine

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Jul 23 02:25:27 EDT 2007

Ivan Krstić wrote:

> There's a fastboot version of the firmware that can boot the machine
> in 3-4 seconds. The boot time, as we get closer to production, will
> start shrinking towards those numbers.

That counts only the time it takes for the firmware to load the Linux
kernel into memory, and does not include the Linux and X server startup
times.

And even ignoring the Linux startup time, we won't get to the 4-second
level unless we partition the FLASH, because of the JFFS2 mount time.

We hope that booting will be infrequent as a result of our power
management capabilities - suspend/resume will be frequent, fast, and
seamless.