"Could not activate this XO" error

Tibi tiberiuturbureanu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 08:55:02 EDT 2007

Hi, Kim!

Thank you for replying!

On 7/22/07, Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Tibi,
>
> I struggled with this last night as well and eventually got it to work.
> When it did finally work I realized that if I had followed the
> autoreinstallation instructions exactly the first time, it really should
> have worked properly.
>
> Some of my problems included:
> 1) I had a reinstallation UBS stick so the first time I just copied the
> nand528.img and .crc onto it and tried to boot off the stick. That doesn't
> work.

I believe I haven't done this mistake, because my transcript of system
update looked just like the one on the wiki page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image#Transcript_of_System_Update

2) Then I looked at the .fth in the new .zip and realized that it was new
> and need to be copied to my USB boot directory as well. But at this point I
> had to downgrade to something earlier than 528 because the upgrade won't
> work if the image on the USB is the same or older than that on the laptop.

I believe you're right, you can't update to an older version. The fact is
that I have 528 on my laptop but I'm not able to enter SUGAR or tty. How do
you downgrade???

3) During this downgrade I made the mistake of somehow getting the old .fth
> file back on my usb, so the upgrade to 528 still didn't activate.

>From the beginning, I've put the zip archive containing olpc.fth and
q2c18.rom referd to on the wiki page. Is'nt that the latest?

4) I downgraded again; upgraded to 528 with the correct .fth, .img and .crc
> and this time it never asked me to reboot. When the image was finished
> upgrading, it rebooted itself; then I saw an activation process occurring;
> then it finished booting into sugar.
>
> Not sure why others are having so much trouble... but this is why it took
> me a few hours. Bottom line is that it really should work if all the pieces
> are there.
>
> Kim
>
> On 7/22/07, Tibi <tiberiuturbureanu at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> > Hello everybody!
> >
> > I followed the autoreinstallation steps discribed here<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image>to upgrade the firmware of my B2 machine to Q2c18 and to install the latest
> > 528 build of XO system.
> > As Bert reported here <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2315>, after all the
> > process worked just fine, after rebooting instead of entering XO GUI, it
> > said "Could not activate this XO" and the serail number.
> >
> > Can anyone point me which is the latest build that works with the latest
> > olpc-auto.zip? Or maybe I've done smth wrong?? (which I doubt actually)
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > tb

tb