text channel

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sat Jul 21 16:57:27 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 17:18 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Comment (by dcbw):
> >
> >  You don't actually need Tubes here.  Each activity has it's own text
> >  channel (even if it doesn't have tubes), which is what we were
> > going to
> >  use to do the corkboard stuff.  The text channel may possibly be
> > abused
> >  for this, though we'd have to check what the link-local stuff does.
>
> This sounds interesting. Looking for more details I found
>
> 	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Sharing
>
> which doesn't really explain what is actually implemented right now,
> nor what the actual API to use e.g. the text channel would be.
>
> Where would I have to look?

It basically gives you access to the underlying XMPP chat channel which
is what you'd be using if you started a Jabber chat with somebody.  Take
a look in src/activity.py in the PS, for example _handle_share_join(),
and the get_channels() will return the object path of the text channel
to your activity, so that you can talk to Telepathy directly.  The Chat
activity uses the text channel, and so is probably the best guide for
how to get it and use it.

dan