text channel

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 16:06:13 EDT 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 at 17:18:39 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Comment (by dcbw):
> >
> >  You don't actually need Tubes here.  Each activity has it's own text
> >  channel (even if it doesn't have tubes), which is what we were
> > going to
> >  use to do the corkboard stuff.  The text channel may possibly be
> > abused
> >  for this, though we'd have to check what the link-local stuff does.
>
> This sounds interesting. Looking for more details I found
>
> 	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Sharing
>
> which doesn't really explain what is actually implemented right now,
> nor what the actual API to use e.g. the text channel would be.

Which activity and which bug# is this in? The text channel associated with
an activity is intended for the overlay chat. I'm not keen on the idea of
abusing the text channel for messages that aren't human-readable chat.

I know the collaboration API isn't very nice right now. Morgan Collett will
be working on improvements as soon as he finishes triaging Trial 2 bugs,
and I plan to make some improvements to telepathy-python when/if I have time.

	Simon