Early boot, activation, upgrades

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Jul 10 15:12:47 EDT 2007

C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
>> In particular, the current code does:
>> Hashes file data with whirlpool
>> Hashes file data with SHA-512
>> Verifies RSA signature against whirlpool hash
>> Verifies RSA signature against SHA-512 hash
>> Verifies ECC signature against whirlpool hash
>> Verifies ECC signature against SHA-512 hash
>
> Well, the four signature validation checks are independent of the size
> of the file data.  I think the original concern was whether the
> activation initramfs was going to bloat the kernel enough to
> significantly slow down the hashing steps.  If that is the case, then
> dropping either whirlpool or SHA-512 would help -- or we could debloat
> the initramfs, split the initramfs signature from the kernel signature
> and only check the initramfs if it is used, speed up the whirlpool
> implementation, or speed up the SHA-512 implementation.  I don't yet
> have an XO to benchmark on -- does anyone know the rough throughput
> (MB/s) of the current whirlpool and SHA-512 implementations?
> --scott

I'll have to do some more work to get a breakdown, but I do have a rough
number to use as a starting point.

Using junk data as the input and a good key file (that doesn't match the
junk data), the combined test goes at 1.5 seconds per megabyte.  That is
basically the two hashes plus the first verification step
(RSA+whirlpool), since the first step will fail and it won't do the
other three.  Regression indicates that the first verify step takes
about 35 ms - the bulk of the time is in the hash.  I think the ECC
verification steps must be slower, because the total time for all steps
on good data of length 100K is 2.5 seconds.