updatinator benchmarking (Was: rsync benchmarking)

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 10 11:30:33 EDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I though the whole security system was new code.

The security system doesn't get involved in updates any more than is
necessary to verify the integrity of what was downloaded, and then
jiggle the right symlinks. That part is irreducible complexity. How
we get the update bits isn't.

> And anyway, you can
> verify every bit of the downloaded data once updatinator has sucked it
> down using the sha1 hashes, there is no need to trust the downloader.

It's not a matter of cryptographic trust. It's a matter of what
happens if the downloader screws up _for any reason_ and isn't able
to correctly fetch updates, causing the integrity checks to fail and
leaving the machines in a state where they can't be updated.

> I'm happy your work on security is continuing, but I'm not gonna
> let it
> block my work.

Updates are completely orthogonal to the security _work_. The update
system needs my signoff as the security owner at OLPC, and I'm not
giving one to new code for FRS. I made it clear that I don't mean for
this to block your _work_ on updatinator, but I _will_ block its
inclusion into the FRS image, a decision I'm happy to revise down the
line.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org