Early boot, activation, upgrades

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Jul 10 00:42:27 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
> At that 3M size, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the "one
> initrd for both activation and normal booting" idea.  A busybox
> (statically linked with uclibc) with enough trimmings to do darn near
> anything compresses to about 0.6 MB.  The fact that the kernel can
> currently boot with no initrd at all makes it hard for me to swallow the
> proposition of tripling the load image size in the usual case.

I'll look into how small I can make it tomorrow.  If we've got to have
the initrd for activation, we might as well do normal boot with it,
since the time spent decompressing is still minimal for the sizes
we're talking about.  I can try to quantify that claim once I get my
B4. ;-)
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )