can't get wireless working on B2 updated to 406

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Fri Jul 6 22:08:29 EDT 2007

At 5:48 PM -0400 7/6/07, Dan Williams wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 15:01 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    >    raidautorun: failed to open /dev/md0: No such device or address
>>
>> That's normal.
>>
>>    > from a root shell ifconfig only lists the lo interface.
>>
>> That's bad.  Please open a bug on http://dev.laptop.org/query and attach
>> the file created by "dmesg > file".  You might try removing all power
>> (AC and battery) and rebooting, in case the problem goes away.
>
>Well, it depends on whether you did "ifconfig" or "ifconfig -a".  If the
>interface isn't up, it won't show up with a plain "ifconfig".  That's
>not extremely surprising if NM couldn't connect to anything.  406 does
>try mesh stuff, so if you haven't already connected to an infrastructure
>access point, it's also not surprising that you wouldn't get wireless
>connectivity until you did that.

My WAP is broadcasting it's SSID and is using WPA/WPA2 Personal.

When I startup the XO I don't get any icons in the upper right listing available SSID's and noting appears when I open the local network icon.

This is the result of running ifconfig -a:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

What else should I see?

I assumed I'd see a wireless interface in the list.

Do you know if this error message means anything?

  eth0   no private ioctls

It's generated on startup when running: olpc-configure.