Python pyc/pyo (Was: Inflation)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Jul 4 13:31:03 EDT 2007

Pádraig Brady wrote:

> For example there are many duplicate py[oc] files,

Yeah, do we really have to ship pyc nd pyo files?
They're sometimes even bigger than the source code,
probably due to the full blown UTF-32 strings.

No other dynamic language needs that pre-tokenized junk.
Is Python so slow at parsing?  Has anybody measured the
hit?

Someone told me that Python 2.5 can now also read
library files from an archive, and this is supposed
to reduce startup time a lot.  (I don't see why it
should, on any decent filesystem).

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/