GCompris in sugar ?

Yves Combe yves at ycombe.net
Wed Jan 31 17:42:42 EST 2007

Hello,

I am part of the GCompris developper team, we looked at the technical
issues involved to provide an OLPC version.

Indeed, i don't know what exactly is the OLPC specification.

We use an 800x600 display. I know OLPC is 1900x1200 in B&W mode, how
much is it in colors ? it will need some work to check GCompris can
display correctly in B&W (easy but long), and  to change it's size if
needed (easy with zooming in gnomecanvas).

We use  SDL_mixer (sound),  and libgnomecanvas.  We have a copy of
python-gnomecanvas bindings inside. We need Gtk and pygtk of course.

Our main fonctions are in a library, and we have python binding for it.

So i see a way to integrate GCompris in sugar: rewrite our main() part
in python (namely gcompris.c) using the library bindings. that should
probably work. This part create the two GnomeCanvas widgets (the board
itself and the bottom bar), initialise the sound, and read the activity
list. It launch the first activity (usually the menu) through the libs
function.

Of course, GCompris is a big software. The size installed is important,
because of tons of sounds and png images. GCompris inside an OLPC should
probably be a lighter version.

--
yves