Marvell 88W8388 driver (Was: OLPC Laptop - an open source substandard ?)

Alex Gibson agibson at eng.uts.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 04:27:44 EST 2007

Alex Gibson wrote:
> Ivan Krstić wrote:
>> Gabor Dolla wrote:
>>> AFAICT there is no 802.11s support in the standard linux kernel.
>>> Would it be possible to write the 802.11s code so that it could be used
>>> in the standard linux kernel as well as in the firmware ?
>>
>> It's being worked on.
>>

> An idea we had for support infrastructure was something like a gumstix
> board(www.gumstix.com) with software 802.11s support to provide a mesh
> repeater/extender or message box storage / ultra lite weight server /
> comms hub.
>
> Could fit the whole thing with backup battery ,small solar panel ,
> regulator and antenna into the size of a shoe box.
>
> Alex

Forgot to say

The gumstix guys are using a similar chipset from marvell
and are also very interested in having an opensource driver/firmware.

The module they use has an 88W8s88 and 88W8385 in it.

Is it possible to buy any usb modules with the Marvell 88W8388 ?
so we can get our hands on a few without depleting olpc supplies
as I believe you guys don't have very many.

Have a good weekend
(long weekend here with a public holiday tomorrow)

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If