Alternatives of Sugar development environment

Tony Veijalainen tony.veijalainen at kotikone.fi
Tue Jan 23 10:42:56 EST 2007

Isn't http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Google_Summer_of_Code
<https://webmail.omnia.fi/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.laptop.org%2Fgo%2FOLPC_Google_Summer_of_Code&Horde=78ed4e297e052ca0798e4ea32ee69d57>

modified Xephyr usable for base of development for screen emulation?
Has somebody checked the emulation side by side with final hardware
realization?

1) I am now checking if it is possible to do Sugar-jhbuild in andLinux
environment which runs inside Windows and is used for gp2x linux game
console
development. (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux
<https://webmail.omnia.fi/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gp2x.org%2Fwiki%2FAndLinux&Horde=78ed4e297e052ca0798e4ea32ee69d57>).
 It uses esd daemon listening in Windows side.
There maybe also possibility to have Csound listening in
Windows environment as version of Csound exist for Windows
in addition to Linux
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=81968&package_id=120482)

Notice that Sugar-jhbuild.is very hungry for disk space. Now I have 4GB
(after trying with 1 GB and 2 GB)
disk space reserved for it. After compilation and starting the Avahi
service I finally
got the Sugar running in Xephyr inside AndLinux (CoLinux) in Windows XP
Home machine.

2) I would think that one Qemu qcow (compressed) file image could be
automatically be built from each image (adding  kernel source with all
hardware support to support general installation
and the cross compilation package).
This could then be run as hdb in Qemu+Kqemu to have sufficient space for
development.

3) I do not know if chroot environment in Linux could emulate the
environment sufficiently. Sugar looks like having sugar-emulator command
(using Xephyr or Xnest). There should be an option for installing sugar
with systems own
libraries to avoid building source for everything. Maybe binary option
for sugar-jhbuild is possible?
Less wasting of space and time. I can not imagine a teacher in Nepal
waiting through the sugar-jhbuild process even if everything could be
automatic.

4) I do understand the problem of versions of dependencies. Mayby an
automatic
script could be made to produce rpm and deb packages from the  olpc images
binaries. Installing that package would then turn Fedora or Ubuntu
distribution
for development environment. Same time they could automate the depencies
lists from wiki.
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux)

5) Maybe tree version of Sugar image could be installed inside a Linux
development environment and could accomplish the same?

6) Maybe standard kernel could be added to OLPC images to boot sugar
environment
 from hard disk partion natively with proper grub setup (The ISO image
has only
native hardware boot option and does not even work from QEMU)

7...) Then there is the Xen and UML alternatives...

Does anybody have experience with these things and could advice which is
most viable road to solution?
Would many people need to do the development in non-linux environment?

     Tony Veijalainen, Finland