Questions about virtualization

Matthew Allum mallum at openedhand.com
Tue Jan 23 05:20:41 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 03:59 -0500, Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Chris Ball wrote:
> >    > We would like to preconfigure qemu, bochs, vmware player or another
> >    > emulator to mimic the XO hardware as closely as possible. We're
> >    > thinking of how to emulate the mesh networking, sound, videocamera,
> >    > and performance constraints.
> >
> > I don't know of a way to emulate a 1200x900 resolution screen in an
> > emulator (because there's no such VESA mode?), which seems like a
> > non-starter for developing applications to me.  Does anyone know
> > how we could get around this?
>
> Adding Matthew Allum, author of Xephyr, to CC. Matthew, any thoughts?

Indeed Xephyr can do any resolution you like (via -screen switch) but of
course its just 'simulating' an XServer than a full system like QEmu.

In the case of qemu it should only be a case of modifing the kernels
framebuffer driver (vesa-ng may make this easy) to actually do 1200x900.
There is no limitation in QEmu itself - I have run QEmu ARM with all
sorts of whacked out resolutions.

Many thanks;

  -- Matthew