Obsolete hardware?

Gordon Schumacher whiplash at pobox.com
Sun Jan 14 16:02:32 EST 2007

I don't know if this has already been discussed here or whether my
assumptions are correct, but I was contemplating the fate of all the
alpha/B1/B2 systems that will end up floating around out there once
there are "real" production systems.  I'm guessing that ultimately, they
will no longer be useful for a lot of development because they will not
match the hardware configurations of the production systems.

Might they be redistributed to needy folks as something of a
promotional?  I know that we're not talking about a large number of
systems but perhaps it would still come in useful.

If my initial assumption is incorrect (that these obsolete systems will
no longer be useful for development) then never mind, I'm just trying to
think ahead to the future...