third rural range test, ad-hoc mode

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Fri Jan 12 06:52:32 EST 2007

G'day,

The earlier test today was on slightly undulating terrain, plus or minus
half a metre, which made quite a difference to communication between the
units.  Pings were lost in a dip at about the 800m mark.

I still felt the need for exercise, so I did another test, on another
range, this time a sealed road section 1.3km long with slightly raised
ends (2m), and no undulation, so that terrain wasn't as much of a problem.

The two laptops communicated fine over 1.3km, with the same 10 Hz ping,
also carrying a 44100 Hz audio stream of wind noise in WAV format over
SSH.

Signal level was -83 dBm, noise level was -89 dBm, bit rate shown by
iwconfig was oscillating between 5.5 Mb/s and 11 Mb/s for the unit
transmitting the audio stream, and 1 Mb/s to 2 Mb/s for the unit
receiving.

Are there any transmit power knobs to twiddle?

Now I shall have to find a longer road ... and maybe get someone to
drive me over the range rather than walk it ... the road goes ever on
and on ...  met a black snake on the way back, warming itself on the
surface, but it wasn't interested in the project.  Nor was the wallaby
or the rabbits.  The flies were interested, though.