Devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 24

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk
Wed Jan 10 14:45:41 EST 2007

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:

> Per my comments on your addition to the trac bug: GigE isn't high on our
> list: the answer depends therefore on the cost of doing so to the base
> system.

I don't think I actually know how to answer your question about the cost of
providing the module. On build 182, which did have the driver, lsmod lists
pcnet32 as size 32772 and mii 5760 (used by pcnet32), but I don't know if
that answers your question.

Are you saying that it isn't possible (or is incovenient) to provide the
additional module only in the development builds? Obviously there isn't any
point having them in the final build.

Part of the problem is that, as a windows user, getting the network
correctly configured with qemu is a bit of a pain and also suffers from
bugs in the current qemu. vmware at least has solid networking if only the
olpc image supported a compatible card.

Thanks,
Duncan