Wireless - can u tell direction and/or distance to other laptops?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Jan 9 09:15:05 EST 2007

heh; there has been research in the area, using signal strength alone
for location determination.

Usually, though, you have some idea what the map is in advance, and are
just trying to identify where a machine is, and are able to gather a
data set of signal strengths from those and other locations in advance.

The general problem is considerably harder, and I don't know what the
state of the research in that area is.
                                  - Jim

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 13:50 +0000, John Marshall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this has been asked already.  Will it be possible to tell
> distance and/or direction from one laptop to another?  If so, any idea
> how accurate such figures might be?  Also, if it can be achieved from a
> single laptop or if it would likely require data from multiple laptops
> for the calculations to work?
>
> I'm looking at how different multiplayer gaming models could apply to
> the laptop.  One of those is location based mobile phone gaming.  The
> key aspects for the various models are distance, direction and physical
> location.  The resolution and accuracy of each also comes into play.
> There are models for games simply based simply on distance, some on
> direction and distance, and others based on physical points in space
> (GPS games).
>
> What I'd ideally like to know is which of distance, direction and
> location may be achievable on the laptop and to what accuracy.  At this
> time, however, I'm only looking for an rough indication of if it's
> impossible, difficult, easy or simply unknown.
>
> ttfn,
> John
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child