A special linux distribution for developing OLPC applications

Bryan Berry bryanbryanb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 09:27:57 EST 2007

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.  As Manish, points out we need some mechanism for local developers to build apps for OLPC.  The computer science students, FOSS community, and others in Nepal are really excited about OLPC.  They are already asking for projects that they can help out on.  The academic year is just starting here and we would love for the local universities to churn out student projects for OLPC.

I think that Jim and Asko are right that we should focus on a package instead of a full-fledged distro.

As Dan points out, sugar keeps changing.  Still, I imagine that you guys will keep the activity bundle structure, Python & GTK for applications, dbus, IPv6 networking, etc.  At very least programmers here can learn how to use these tools even if their applications don't work in later Sugar builds.

Also, we'd love to see people learn how to develop for Squeak, pyGames, gcompris, AlphaCity, and others.

I have the weakest technical skills of anyone on the OLPC Nepal team so expect more intelligent postings on this subject from other members of OLPC Nepal.

Bryan Berry
OLPC Nepal
wiki.olpcnepal.org