Inkscape and OLPC

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun Feb 11 20:13:31 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:51:35AM +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Yes, this is very interesting information. I just brought this up on
> the Inkscape list. I think it raises an interesting question and
> underscores how memory leaks could bring OLPC (or other systems with
> limited resources) to its knees quickly.

I think it is already well understood by the OLPC team.

Perhaps the more important thing about OLPC isn't the size of the memory
available, but rather the intention to run the kernel and user space
nearly forever, using suspend and resume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Leak has a good description of the
concept of memory leaks.  I agree with an opinion therein, ...

"The term 'memory leak' is evocative and non-programmers especially can
become so attached to the term as to use it for completely unrelated
memory issues ..."