Inkscape and OLPC

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun Feb 11 18:25:35 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 09:55:25PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> Isn't inkscape still a memory pig?

inkscape 0.44.1-1 in my tests has 56Mb peak virtual size on startup, and
76Mb after loading the basic tutorial page.  This would be an
appreciable proportion of the currently planned 128Mb on the platform.

On startup (not on a B-test-1)

VmPeak:    56068 kB
VmSize:    56068 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmHWM:     45420 kB
VmRSS:     45420 kB
VmData:    30068 kB
VmStk:        84 kB
VmExe:      4880 kB
VmLib:     17408 kB
VmPTE:        64 kB

After loading basic tutorial page (not on a B-test-1)

VmPeak:    73676 kB
VmSize:    73676 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmHWM:     60868 kB
VmRSS:     60868 kB
VmData:    46116 kB
VmStk:        84 kB
VmExe:      4880 kB
VmLib:     17480 kB
VmPTE:        80 kB

> Can inkscape be tuned to not allocate
> absurd amounts of memory?

It doesn't seem absurd given the functionality, but I imagine there
might be opportunities to trim.  The inkscape developers may know more.

> I invested in a 512M RAM upgrade just so I
> could run inkscape on moderately complex drawings.

That seems excessive, and doesn't match my brief measurements.  Were you
running other applications at the time?  I've assumed the basic tutorial
is moderately complex.  I don't know how this would compare to the
drawings used by the target market of 5 to 9 year olds.