Inkscape and OLPC

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg at redhat.com
Thu Feb 8 18:26:10 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 22:44 +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Ooops...prematurely sent the last one...
>
> Anyway, want to get Inkscape ported over to Sugar/OLPC. I'm curious if
> OLPC/Sugar will support gtkmm, libsigc++, pango, and cairo. Inkscape is
> refactoring and porting to C++/GTKMM right now and are necessary. So,
> are these libraries included and/or could they be considered for
> inclusion on the device?

Pango and cairo are and will be included without any doubt. gtkmm and
libsigc++ could be shipped with the bundle (I assume they doesn't take a
lot of disk space?).

> Also, are there general porting pages on the wiki to point out?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar

and

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

> Also, are there general procedures or methods for Inkscape to be
> considered for inclusion on the OLPC above and beyond the Sugar HIG.

I don't think the criteria for inclusion are clearly defined yet.

We will be including a drawing activity, but the user experience for it
has yet to be thought out in the detail. I *think* so far we have been
thinking more along the lines of a sketching activity then about a full
featured design tool. I don't know enough about Inkscape architecture to
try and guess if it could be a good base for the default drawing
activity.

> With Inkscape, we are looking to lib'ify it more so we can have some
> like inkcore libraries, upon which we or someone else could make
> something like inkpaint for kids.

That's very good. To really integrate Inkscape, an ad hoc UI (toolbar
and stuff) will be required. Also we would have to develop special
features on the top of it (collaboration on the mesh for example).

> Does this interest anyone? Lets get the big guns on this one :)

Definitely. We can start a conversation with the design team and try to
figure out if Inkscape can be a good base for our drawing activity, if
you are interested.

Marco