radio testing and borrow from debian scripts

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Feb 7 06:57:31 EST 2007

G'day,

One or two people have expressed interest in the scripts that I've been
using for ad-hoc wireless testing and the method by which I've stuck a
few temporary tools from my Debian system onto a B-Test-1 laptop.

So I've placed the darcs repository on my web site.  Contributions
welcome.

% darcs get http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/

(or wget --recursive --no-parent if you lack a working copy of darcs)

Some limited documentation that I made for my wife so that she could
help with a test today ... as an OpenOffice.org document ...

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/doc/test-scripts-howto.odt

Scripts of possible interest to others include:

- grab binaries and required libraries from a Debian system so that the
  binaries can be used temporarily on the OLPC system, see the scripts
  named encapsulate and encapsulate-single,

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/encapsulate
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/encapsulate-single

- simple configuration of two units into an ad-hoc network, with IP
  addresses chosen based on a nickname numeric suffix, see the scripts
  named bin/adhoc-{up,down}

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/adhoc-down
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/adhoc-up

- test the noise and signal level of each channel, so as to find the
  least noisy, see the scripts adhoc-retune{,-sequence}

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/adhoc-retune
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/adhoc-retune-sequence

- emit twelve-tone scale notes corresponding to signal level, see the
  scripts af and af-table-create

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/af
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/signal-level
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/af-table-create

- generate log of battery, temperatures, and wireless signal and noise
  levels, see the walkabout script and dependencies

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/walkabout

- switch the virtual console to reverse video

http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/olpc-radio-testing/bin/rv