b/w reflective mode for monitor

David W Hogg david.hogg at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:03:58 EST 2007

I know this is off-topic for devel, but when you go observing at
night, you take a flashlight with a dark red filter over it.  That way
you can read your manuals, atlas, guides, and footing without killing
your dark adaptation.  There are other tricks, including pirate-y eye
patches, see, eg,

   http://safari.oreilly.com/0596100604  - astronomy hacks

The *real* question is whether one can read the reflective display
with a dark red flashlight.

(BTW, moonlight is bad because you can never see really faint stars
when the moon is up.)

David W. Hogg - associate professor, NYU - http://cosmo.nyu.edu/hogg/