b/w reflective mode for monitor

David W Hogg david.hogg at nyu.edu
Sun Feb 4 15:53:03 EST 2007

Perhaps this is a question for hardware folks, not devel folks, but
could someone out there tell me if the reflective, b/w mode for the
monitor will be 8-bit greyscale or 1-bit on-off pixels?  I am writing
an application for the laptop, but it is *essential* that it run
completely in the reflective mode if that is possible; I need to know
if I can use "greys" or only strict "black" and "white".

Also, are there *software* handles for the reflective vs transmissive
modes, or is that always controlled by hardware and/or the user?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

Hogg

ps. If you want to know *why* I need to work in the reflective mode:
my application is for backyard/schoolyard astronomy and we must
maintain dark adaptation.  See
   http://howdy.physics.nyu.edu/index.php/OLPC_planetarium

pps. Hey you Media Lab types:  I was Lego Lab 1989-1992.
--
David W. Hogg - associate professor, NYU - http://cosmo.nyu.edu/hogg/