iwpriv (Was: OLPC News 2007-12-30)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Dec 31 13:10:13 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 12:56 -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> btw, we still have code in /etc/init.d/olpc-configure that
> tries to use one of those private ioctls to remap the leds,
> and outputs errors if they're missing.  Is this still needed?

Yes, I think so. And I think it probably even justifies a private ioctl.
So it'll get proper consideration and it'll get sent upstream. Not just
dumped into our kernel and forgotten.

> > However, you're right about this patch not going upstream -- I thought
> > I'd already told you that the naïve patch to cs5536_warm_reset() as
> > shown in ticket #4397 was not acceptable. It doesn't live in that
> > function, and even if it did, it shouldn't be happening unconditionally
> > based on CONFIG_OLPC.
>
> An interesting goal would be cleaning up CONFIG_OLPC so that
> it could be enabled in stock kernels of standard Linux distros.

I actually see that as a prerequisite for getting the thing upstream.
And the first step along that path is to stop making it worse.

--
dwmw2