How can the XO be made accessible to blind

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sun Dec 30 14:12:18 EST 2007

David W Hogg wrote:
> On a somewhat related note, is there any way to attach an external
> monitor to the XO?  I would love to give my astronomy research
> seminars in the spring from my G1G1 XO; but this would also be useful
> for those with impaired sight (some of my colleagues need to immensely
> magnify images, diagrams, and figures in order to see them).  From my
> XO, Hogg

Three solutions:

a) Display the XO's graphics on another computer using X or VNC.

b) Purchase a USB graphics adapter.  (Google for "USB graphics adapter"
to find some).  It is reported that Linux drivers are available for some
of them, but as far as I know, nobody has tested one on an XO.

c) Dismantle the XO, install a suitable VGA connector at CN12 at the top
left of the board (looking from the back), and cut a hole in the plastic
to make room for the VGA cable to get out.  A modification to the X
configuration file will then enable VGA output.  (Yes, it would be nice
if this feature were easier to access, but providing such a connector as
a standard feature would have increased the cost for our target market
of developing world children, and compromised the industrial design and
water resistance.)