TurtleArt Mandelbrot

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 30 12:58:12 EST 2007

I was intrigued by Turtle Art, and wanted to learn how to use it.  I was also
bored, stuck in an airport after my flight was delayed.  Therefore, I decided
to write a Mandelbrot Fractal generator in Turtle Art.  You can see the result
here:

http://dev.laptop.org/~bemasc/mandelbrot/Screenshot.png

or download it from

http://dev.laptop.org/~bemasc/mandelbrot/

I do not know very much about Turtle Art.  In particular, I do not know the
stack/box scoping rules, or whether boxes are int or float.  In that context,
at least, this program was very difficult to write, and several bizarre tricks
were required to do complex arithmetic with only two variables and no order of
operations.

The program is amazingly slow.

The program hangs after about an hour, leaving Turtle Art in an infinite loop.
I presume this is a bug in Turtle Art.

--Ben