Question about School Server and student tracking

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 10:01:49 EST 2007

Question for those working on the school server

In Nepal we are looking at how to track students' academic progress as
they workthrough our Squeak-based activities. I believe that Moodle has
a gradebook feature but I am not sure how we could integrate that w/
Squeak.

For the foreseeable future, learning activities for OLPC will probably
be developed using a number of different toolsets such as Squeak, Flash,
Pygames,etc. I am curious how we can track students' progress across
different learning activities implemented in different languages.

We want to track just a few things such as whether the student completed
a given activity, how long they spent on it, and how they did on the
activity such as unsatisfactory, satisfactory, excellent, and perfect.
This information would help our developers measure how much progress
kids make on our activities. For example, after X number of tries they
get to the top level or after X tries they stay at the same level.

Does anyone know if there a way to log a student's progress to Moodle
through a web service call from w/in a Squeak, Python, or Flash-based
activity? Is there a way to do this w/ the competing platform, Sakai?

I have looked at Sakai only briefly and it seems that they have a more
web-services oriented architecture than Moodle. Does anyone out in
OLPC-Open-land have personal experience w/ Sakai?
http://www.sakaiproject.org/media2/2006/overview/overview.htm

I am sure we could build our own web service from scratch but I would
much rather piggyback off of an established open-source community than
start something ourselves.

Related to this, has the school server team settled on using Moodle for
the School server?

I will be in Boston for much of January and hope to meet w/ the members
of the server team based there.

thanks

--
Bryan W. Berry