"sugarize" tool and Tux Paint

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 07:02:49 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 11:48 PM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a tool to make normal X programs to run under sugar.

Thank you. Some of us at BayPIGgies (Meets at Google monthly) are
working on a sugarizing factory. I want to make a lot of Free math,
science, and language software available. We were thinking of starting
with grpn, an RPN calculator. There are lots of astronomy, chemistry,
math, and language packages (dictionaries, vocabulary drill), some
physics, and much more.

> As a demo, it runs a logo program.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~albert/xlogo-1.xo
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/albert/sugarize;a=summary
>
> How it works: A launcher program places Sugar's incompatible command
> arguments into the environment, along with LD_PRELOAD pointing at
> a shared library. The launcher then starts up the program by calling
> execlp() with the arguments that the program actually needs. As the
> program is starting up, the dynamic linker ("man ld.so") forces the
> shared library into the program. The shared library intercepts calls
> into libX11. From that intercepted function the shared library is
> able to set various Sugar-specific window properties before the app
> becomes visible. This lets activity switching work, gets the donut
> icon right, etc.
>
> A slightly newer version is included in the Tux Paint activity.
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tux_Paint

Can you put a HOWTO in the Laptop Wiki?

When are you likely to be in Silicon Valley?

Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/