3rd Fedora disk curdle

Gerard J. Cerchio gjpc at circlesoft.com
Thu Dec 27 11:28:17 EST 2007

In the short time I have been working with olpc I have had my Fedora
VMware machines curdle their ext3 disks 3 times.

I have been running 2.4 and 2.6 Redhats and Debians for over a year with
no such problems. Once the first Fedora 7 machine broke its disk I have
been very careful to shutdown every time. I cannot point to any
particular activity that has corrupted the disk image. Things will start
to go "wrong" and a subsequent reboot with fschk will yield a disk
hopelessly in trouble.

Does the jhbuild emulator do any exotic direct to disk IO that may be
causing this?
Does Fedora aggressively modify its ext3, vfs or SCSI drivers?

I have built a third Fedora 8 VM this time using IDE disk IO in hopes
that this problem will go away.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

-Gerard