[olpc-help] setting correct time

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Dec 26 02:51:30 EST 2007

Chih-yu Chao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please refer to
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#How_do_I_set_the_date_and_time_on_my_laptop.3F
>
> The OLPC team is currently working on that wiki section, so you might
> want to check back later for more updates.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Chih-yu
>

> On Dec 26, 2007 12:56 AM, Anonymous <community-support at lists.laptop.org> wrote:
>> hello, I just received this neat OLPC and am enjoying it immensely. Playing a bit at the OS level, I determined that the system clock is about 13 hrs fast. It's already tomorrow  :D I tried a conventional linux date -s command to reset the time, but it replied with an error that I could not do that. Is there another way?  TIA
>>
>> dw

There are two steps required. First, you have to set the time zone. Open
up the terminal activity and type "sugar-control-panel -h
timezone|more". This will page you through the list of all the possible
time zones. The space bar goes to the next page, and a carriage
return/enter goes to the next line.

Once you find the one you want, do a "q" to get out of "more". Then type
"su" to become root. Do *not* type "su -" -- this will mess up the path
settings. Then type "sugar-control-panel -s timezone <your time zone
goes here>". To check it, type "sugar-control-panel -g timezone".

OK ... *now* type "su -". Then type "ntpdate pool.ntp.org". The machine
will sync to the time standard server. That's it.

Question for the developers -- some Linux systems will automatically
sync to the time server every time the network starts up. When you
install Fedora, for example, you get the option to do that. How
difficult would it be to enable that option in an XO?