Sugar on Slackware 12.0

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Mon Dec 24 21:01:30 EST 2007

I just wanted to report that I've sucessfully got sugar built and
running on Slackware 12.

Of course there are a lot of dependencies to install (gstreamer and
friends, some gnome libs) and some library to update if you start from a
fresh Slackware installation. But sugar is not so hard to build in
distros other than Fedora and Ubuntu, really.

I did:

sugar-jhbuild update
sugar-jhbuild built

and then I compiled and installed the missing libraries and the python
modules.

The most tricky part was Xephyr, which was missing. Since I didn't want
to mess with my xorg installation I just took xorg-server-1.3.0.0 source
(which is the version that ships with Slackware 12) and compiled it with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xserver-xephyr
--exec-prefix=/usr/local/xserver-xephyr --enable-kdrive --enable-xephyr
&& make && make install

Then I made a symbolic link to xephyr in /usr/local/bin.

Should I add this infos on the wiki?

Cheers,

-c.

--