Is DRM on every G1G1 laptop?

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Dec 24 19:29:37 EST 2007

John Gilmore wrote:

> I thought "security" (i.e. security-against-the-owner-himself,
> i.e. DRM) was supposed to be disabled on G1G1 laptops.  See for
> example the statement at the bottom of the GPL compliance discussion
> in:
>
>   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4286#comment:8
>
>   "Because the anti-theft system will not be deployed for the G1G1
>   laptops, OLPC should feel free to pursue with source distribution
>   under GPLv3 6(b) (e.g., with a written [offer] for source code) as
>   planned."
>
> DRM was supposed to only be enabled on shipments to countries that
> specifically require anti-theft protection due to corrupt supply
> chains.  Did somebody screw up and put DRM onto every G1G1 laptop?
>
> 	John

G1G1 laptops are shipped with the "ak" tag present in the manufacturing
data, so the "activation" step of the antitheft system is unnecessary.
They are, however, shipped with the security/firmware-write- protection
feature enabled, which implies that you need a developer key to get
unfettered access to the hardware.

We have expedited the collection of serial number information for G1G1
machines from the factory, so we can generate developer keys for them
more quickly.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developer_Key describes the procedure for
obtaining a developer key.  We tried to make that procedure as easy as
possible within the constraints of our available manpower and time (i.e.
we have a lot of other things that need attention too).  Note that there
is no discretionary component to this procedure - ask and you shall receive.