Give One Get One laptop for software development

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Dec 23 16:32:47 EST 2007

Rob Savoye wrote:

>> 2. "Native" develop and test on the XO itself.
>   GCC and G++ are both used with the XO.

Used with an XO, sure. But not *installed on* the XO by default. I run
virtual XOs in VMware Workstation 6. You can't install VMware Tools on
one because:

a. There isn't enough room for the RPM on the base 1 GB hard drive.
b. If you build a virtual XO with a larger hard drive, you can install
the RPM, but the configure script doesn't work. It needs Perl, which
isn't installed. If you install Perl, you find out that it also needs
"gcc" and "make", and if you install those, you find out that the kernel
headers or some other kernel package doesn't match the running kernel.

> I believe the geode optimized GCC and Glibc are included now. If not,
> here's instructions on building your own:
> http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Building_OLPC_Tools

I may check these out -- my base distro is Gentoo, so I may just skip
all this. :)