upgrading firmware on activated laptops

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Dec 23 07:15:25 EST 2007

> > Please note that there are users like me who have the exact problem
> > described by http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5558.  I have been
> > totally __unable__ to gain access to the Open Firmware "ok" prompt.
>
> Please read the top section of
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image:
>
>   This page is for software developers only. It does not apply to Give
>   One Get One laptops unless you first get a developer key; until then,
>   please use the olpc-update or activated upgrade method.

The reason I posted to 'devel' was to publicize that there seem to
be OLPC systems on which the "ok" prompt does __not__ show up.

[Are you saying that *unless* the owner installs a developer key,
the "ok" prompt on his system is deactivated ?  If so, perhaps the
top section of that wiki page ought to be clarified.  I had thought
that page as describing who should be using the autoreinstallation
process, *not* as describing whether the "ok" prompt would show up.]

[I was looking on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_the_firmware,
in the 'Manual upgrade' section.  Didn't notice any mention there of
'software developers' being the only ones to need the "ok" prompt.]

mikus