Clock?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 22 22:06:14 EST 2007

> OK, setting my hwclock to utc shows /etc/adjtime has "UTC", but after
> rebooting it gets reset to "0" (localtime), causing the incorrect time
>  offset.

/etc/init.d/halt calls hwclock to write the current time out to the hardware.

It looks in /etc/sysconfig/clock for the UTC flag.  It defaults to local.

My XO doesn't have an /etc/sysconfig/clock

All the Linux boxes I've ever worked with have run with the hardware clock
set to UTC.  I'm not sure why XO is setup to use local time.  It should work.
 (The only reason I know to have the UTC set to local time is if you are dual
booting with a popular OS that needs (needed?) local time.)

I try to avoid writing to the hwclock by hand.  It just leads to confusion
like this.  If you get the system time set correctly and then cleanly reboot
your machine, it should write it out the way it wants and read it back in the
same way.