Our Stories: Commercialization?

Jeffrey Kesselman jeffpk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 20:09:40 EST 2007

Well, FWI....

and realizing its not my projct so my opinion means nthoing...

I've thought sicne i first fired up the emulator and got a good look
at it that the OLPC project is probably missing a bet for funding.
I'm willing to bet if it was licensed to someone like Mattel to sell
in the first world, they could sell a ton at around $250, increase the
volume to lower production costs, as well as funnel some of hte
profits back into funding the third world efforts.

But thats just my opinion.

As far as the software goes, its all open source, right?  As  long as
someone lives up to their obligations under the open source license I
don't see anything wrong with them trying something commercial with
it. *shrug*

On Dec 22, 2007 6:25 PM, Tom Boonsiri <tom.boonsiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading the Bender update, I checked out Anna's recent effort
> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Anna_B) which seemed to be similar to Ian
> Daniher's Telehealth module effort and I noticed the following goal.
>
> -Van on commercializing Our Stories: would consumers pay for something like
> a virtual safari tour? A micro-franchise idea
>
> Are we actually avoiding the commercialization of the technologies we
> develop under OLPC?

~~ Microsoft help desk says: reply hazy, ask again later. ~~