OLPC News 2007-12-22

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Sat Dec 22 19:37:31 EST 2007

> Wasn't the clearance made wider sometime between B1 and B2 to fix the
> problem with interlocking plastic parts? Please explain further.

As I recall, we widened the base to reduce some wobble. This is an
effort to further reduce wobble (in the 90 degree rotation).

> Is this a hardware or software bug?

Software.

> This may have been asked before, but how far is the progress in freeing
> the EC code? IIRC first there were official statements that the EC code
> would be free (and all parties would agree to that), then after some
> time it was announced that OLPC were talking with Quanta about setting
> the code free, now we just hear about EC bugs, but nothing about the code.

I don't think we'll get this code freed up because it is a tangle of
ownership and licenses. But we do plan to rewrite it from scratch when
we come up for air.

-walter

---
Walter Bender