Mounting a USB drive (windows format)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 21 22:58:09 EST 2007

Jeffrey Kesselman wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 2:36 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:05:29PM -0500, Jeffrey Kesselman wrote:
>>> More Diagnosis:
>>>
>>> I bought an OLPC in the buy one/give one so i just tried the USB stick
>>> on the real machine and it works fine.
>>>
>>> So it just my emulated image that is refusing to mount it for some reason :(
>>>
>>> I'd really like to keep using VMWare.  On my machine its both more
>>> convenient and much faster then qemu even with the kqemu wedge.  (its
>>> a 64 bit dual core, but you can't run qemu in 64 bit mode with kqemu )
>>>
>>> Has anyoen else gotten emulation under vmware recognizing USB memory
>>> stick drives?
>> You need to tell vmware to do this and take away the device from the
>> underlying operating system that vmware is running on.
>>
>> See the vmware documentation for how to do this properly, it's not an
>> OLPC image issue, but rather a vmware one.
>
> I've already done that Greg.  (You do that with the VM->removable
> Devices menu.  I'm somewhat of an old hand at VMWare.)
>
> The VM has the USB as a device, but the OLPC emulation is not mounting it.
>
> So it was a good guess but thats not the problem.
>
> It deosnt seem to be mounting the CD-Rom either, which suggests to me
> that it could be an issue with the automounter configuration in the
> ship2 build.
>
> Is that what everyone else is usign for development? I assume that
> matches whats actually on my OLPC?

Hmmm ... looks like the two of us have been going down similar paths.
How many other folks are out there who are building VMware XO emulations
as development systems?

Speaking of which, given the hacks I previously posted to get a large
base hard drive, you can *install* VMware Tools, but you can't configure
them. That requires "perl", "gcc", "make" and correct kernel headers and
kernel build tools. I'm not sure what other dependencies there are -- I
haven't crossed the kernel build barrier yet.