sudo, not su.

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 20:20:22 EST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 8:07 PM, Jeffrey Kesselman <jeffpk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, i understand. :)
>
> I was very surprised to find that by default root has no password on the OLPC!
>
> This seems a mite dangerous to me.  I can just imagine OLPC viri
> springing up, propagtating through the mesh...
>
> I'd love to have a proper sudo on the thing.  It would make me feel a
> lot mreo comfortable.

I don't think you do understand. In recent years people have
got this unfounded idea that sudo makes everything good.
Especially outside of the environment for which sudo was
designed, this is not true. The XO is **way** outside of that
environment.

Having no password can be safe. Note that sshd will
not accept connections for a user with no password.