Oprofile, swap

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Wed Dec 19 06:17:55 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 3:54 PM, Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Jameson Chema Quinn wrote:
> > Has anyone looked at Psyco on the XO?
>

> Psyco improves performance at the cost of memory. On a memory-
> constrained machine, it's a tradeoff that can only be made in laser-
> focused, specific cases. We have not done the work -- partly for lack
> of time, partly for lack of sufficiently good tools -- to determine
> those foci.
>
> --
> Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org

Agreed. But with the right tools I believe that Psyco might be worth it in
the work/advantage ratio. If my understanding is correct, it's the only
optimization tool that "understands" python types and optimizes your code
for the types you use, in the Python Way (exceptions after rather than
checks before for the rare cases). And it's the only one that is easy to
laser-focus from inside Python. This gives it a niche, even if all the other
magic being discussed is performed. But as you point out, that niche is
dependent on having dead-easy Python profiling tools.