WPA anomalies in recent Joyride builds

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Tue Dec 18 11:14:53 EST 2007

I use WPA-PSK (WPA personal) at home, and I've noticed anomalies.

One of the big ones is that it keeps re-prompting for the passphrase
(this is with Joyride 1438), and tearing-down the
  association.   I looked at /var/log/messages while this was going on,
and it seems like it starts the association logic,
  puts up the password prompt, and then times out the association
attempt after 8 seconds--which typically isn't enough
  time to type in the passphrase!   It turns out that NetworkManager has
a wired-in 8 second timer for
  re-association attempts, and 20 seconds for initial association attempts.

I'm not sure how this seems to work OK on a regular Fedora system--which
is using almost the same version of
  NetworkManager.  It's possible that the password-prompting happens
before we go into the timer-controlled
  region of the state machine--have we mucked with this at all?  Is the
password dialog one of our own, or
  just a standard one with Sugar decorations?