Recent Joyride builds busted bad

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Dec 17 21:23:25 EST 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> On 12/17/07 20:42, Marcus Leech wrote:
> > So, things like "find" and "cpio" were only listed as dependencies of
> > mkinitrd, and not in
> >   any other packages?  That's really weird!
>
> I guess these packages were so pervasively present
> everywhere that nobody even bothered to specify
> them explicitly.
you only explicity Require packages you need to run. on my system for instance
[dennis at files ~]$ rpm -q --whatrequires findutils
mkinitrd-6.0.19-4.fc8
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
man-1.6e-3.fc7
prelink-0.4.0-1
rpm-build-4.4.2.2-7.fc8
rpmdevtools-6.4-1.fc8

so we dropped mkinitrd  we dont use java  we dont provide man  we are not
prelinking  and we dont provide utilities for building rpm.

it is a similiar story for tar gzip bzip2 cpio

So because we strip things down we need a way for useful standard utilities.
I would suggest that we include everything we really want in pilgrim
explicitly   or we add them as Requires for olpc-utils