multiple MTD partitions

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 17 02:49:47 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:44 AM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> That would be cool. But I think there would as many, maybe more, cases
> of batteries being removed, power cords yanked, and generators turning
> off causing shutdowns than low-battery issues.

Batteries getting removed with no AC should not be a very frequent
occurrence, one would think. Yes, it'll happen, but treating it as the
case to optimize for seems ill-advised.

> Also, a point wad made: the more writes you defer, the more memory is
> used to store them, on an already memory-constrained system.

This is irrelevant. The page cache is just a cache -- it shrinks in
response to actual memory pressure. If applications gobble up all the
RAM, the page cache is small enough as to make the FS effectively
become synchronous. Applications don't suffer by having less RAM to go
around.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org