The reason we see icons flashing here and there in the mesh view.. i.e. "xmas tree effect"

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Fri Dec 14 04:40:21 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 12:40:55AM -0500, John Watlington wrote:

> What worries me most about this is the revelation that we continue to  rely
> on mDNS when connected to internet infrastructure.  When in the presence of a
> school server, (or connected to a jabber server), mDNS should be shut down.

The reason we shut _salut_, not MDNS down is that it can't work correctly in a
group of laptops with two different multicast domains. As the Clique group for
each laptop will be only in one of the two domains, so things don't always work
as one would expect.

> Otherwise we risk a network meltdown....

I wonder what leads you to make this claim. Salut triggers some MDNS network
chatter, but it should in no way be enough to cause a network melt-down.

Also if salut (not mdns) is disconnected basically all the MDNS traffic should
stop.  (Nobody is quering for mdns information, so no requests should be
sent out).. So shutting down avahi (and thus mdns) only makes things
complicated for no good reason.

  Sjoerd
--
Everything in this book may be wrong.
		-- Messiah's Handbook : Reminders for the Advanced Soul