multiple MTD partitions

Artem Bityutskiy Artem.Bityutskiy at nokia.com
Fri Dec 14 02:54:13 EST 2007

Hello Mitch,

we've sent an UBIFS announcement few days ago to this mailing list:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2007-December/008348.html

but unfortunately have not got feedback, and I suspect one of the reasons is
that it is too difficult to boot UBIFS on XO.

I'd kindly ask you to help me with booting XO with UBIFS as rootfs.

UBI/UBIFS is too large and difficult to implement their support in XO
boot-loader. So I plan to use the following scheme:

1. Have 2 MTD partitions - mtd0 and mtd1. mtd0 is small (say, 10MiB), and has
JFFS2 FS. It contains /boot, /boot-alt, and everything else which the
boot-loader would like to have. mtd1 is large, and it spans up to the end of
the flash chip.

2. When booting, the bootloader reads kernel, initrd and the other stuff from
the JFFS2 FS on MTD 0. It has to be trivial as the boot-loader already can read
JFFS2 FS.

The boot-loader does not try to read mtd1, because it contains UBI/UBIFS which
it does not support.

3. Once the kernel and initrd are loaded, mtd1 can be attached to UBI and
rootfs (UBIFS) can be bounted.

Also, I need to be able to easily flash images which contain JFFS2 and UBIFS to
the internal NAND. But I guess this has nothing to do with the bootloader, right?

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)