Activity depends on Fedora-packaged binary code

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Mon Dec 10 21:02:51 EST 2007

> This thing obviously doesn't scale and in the long term we may end up
> reinventing a full blown package manager with dependency tracking, plus
> tools like apt for downloading and installing them.

It seems to me that the ideal thing would be for Sun to go ahead and get
around to releasing certain bits of the OpenSolaris tree under dual
GPL/CDDL, so that OLPC can merely adopt something like the Image Packaging
System (IPS) being developed for the it-might-be-Solaris-11 Indiana
distribution.

It is even in Python.... :-)

[and IPS packages (images) have some *distinctly* Activity or bundle-like
characteristics... MANIFESTs/(prototype files)... the need for awareness
of security contexts... both OLPC and OpenSolaris are definitely of like
mind about a few fairly crucial things.]

[[a fun project for someone would be to hack up alien to convert RPMs into
images... this is all right in line with the "overlay filesystems" that
I've seen mentioned in a couple of different OLPC contexts.]]

--elijah