First pre-release sample thing of Creative Commons' Licensing activity

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Mon Dec 10 20:19:58 EST 2007

I'm deeply fearful^W^Wproud to announce the first version of the CC
licensing activity.  Let me give you all some background, and then scar
you all with a link.

One of the core activities of the Creative Commons organization is getting
software (apps and platforms) to support metadata showing and searching
when viewing files that contain Creative Commons licenses as well as
letting users CC-license their files.  We have been chatting with OLPC
about some sort of integration for some time; indeed, one of our summer
interns was tasked with working on it.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creative_Commons has the old brainstorming.
What we've converged on is an activity with a comic, to be translated
widely, that an XO activity will show, as well as letting the kids play
with a license chooser.  That license chooser UI will probably show up
again in the control panel; probably the license chosen there will be the
default if they choose to CC license other work they create.

That summer intern wrote a patch some time ago to let CC licenses be
chosen in the journal, which is in the old ticket
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3529 .

ENOUGH ALREADY!  WHAT IS THIS ACTIVITY?
---------------------------------------

It's:

* A first-run disclaimer, to be considered by our legal staff who have
conerns like the possibility of under-18 people doing licensing,

* A simple back-forward viewer of a comic, with text at the bottom, and

* A license chooser widget available in the Navigation menu.

* available at
http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/olpc/License_1.xo

* appallingly large, which I work on soon

* trackable in gitweb:
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/cclicensing;a=summary

KNOWN BUGS?
-----------

Of course.  The license chooser's first time loading is very slow, and it
writes to ~/.license/ , which is bad news for the impending security
review of activities (I'll fix both soonish).

YOUR HELP?
----------

Two questions:

1. As you click "back" and "forward", the screen is sort of "jerky", and
the text widget seems to appear on the screen twice for a moment.  Is
there a way to make this smoother?

2. How do I make the "Navigation" menu selected by default on application
startup?  It seems the Web activity does this, but I can't quite figure
out how (indeed, I used it as a reference for making this activity).

YOUR TAKE?
----------

Please take a look at this thing and let me know what you all think.
Within the week, we're going to be putting the comics+text up on the web
in a convenient format for reading and commenting; consider this a preview
of that.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. Thanks Alex, Jon, and Rebecca for making the comic!

P.P.S. The all-caps are section titles, not me shouting!

P.P.P.S. Thanks all on this list for being so pleasant and responsive to
my questions over the past few weeks!

--
Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read.
 		-- Mark Twain